The ERC Advanced Grant “The Hyksos Enigma” at the Host Institution the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW) – Institute for Oriental and European Archaeology (OREA), funded by the European Research Council (ERC), is offering a subcontract for studies on the cultural matrix of the Middle Bronze Age in Lebanon and Syria.
Project Background: This project seeks to shed light on a very obscure and little understood part in Egyptian history, the so called Hyksos Period and its prelude (c. 1750-1530 BC), during which Egypt was confronted with two heretofore unparalleled phenomena: an influx of a substantial foreign population and – probably as a result – the rule of a foreign dynasty over large parts of Egypt.
Statement of Work
- Provision of a comprehensive in-depth study/analysis of the available source material about the trade of the MB along the Levantine coast
- Quantification of decline or increase of imports/exports in metal and other resources
- Differentiation of merchandise and definition of cultural markers
- To look for archaeological markers of change
- Assess the affect of trade crisis in archaeological data
- PhD in Near Eastern Archaeology or a closely related field.
- Intimate knowledge of the maritime trade along the Levantine coast during MB (archaeology and texts).
- Experience with material culture of MB in these regions (excavations at stratified sites near the Mediterranean coast).
- Substantial archaeological experience in the area including knowledge of modern archaeological methods (processing, recording and studying artefacts).
As soon as possible/delivery of work latest by 31.12.2019.
Contact Person and Grant Holder
Prof. Dr. Manfred Bietak, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and CC: email@example.com,
when communicating please state ‘SC5 proposal’ in the reference/subject line.
Submission Papers should include:
a detailed CV, a publication list, a brief statement of past achievements and research interests as well as a proposal outlining a short work plan and estimated schedule for delivery of work. Price/fee, please quote in EUR currency.