The ERC Advanced Grant ‘The Hyksos Enigma’ at the Host Institution the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW)** – Institute for Oriental and European Archaeology (OREA) is offering a PhD position for Research Track 4 (settlements and space). This position is funded by the European Research Council (ERC) for 3 years (PhD). Salary: standard FWF personnel rates.
Project Background: This project seeks to shed light on a very obscure and little understood part in Egyptian history, the so called Hyksos Period and its prelude (c. 1750-1530 BC), during which Egypt was confronted with two heretofore unparalleled phenomena: an influx of a substantial foreign population and – probably as a result – the rule of a foreign dynasty over large parts of Egypt
Key areas of responsibility
- To define and analyse the distribution and size of MB settlements in the eastern Delta and their cluster along the main waterways and towards the land routes to Sinai.
- To compare individual intra-settlement patterns to see, if the MB settlements in the eastern Delta had different spatial layouts than contemporary, older or younger Egyptian agglomerations.
- To check for ethnic markers (e.g. intramural burials) within the settlements.
- To compare the settlements with MB settlement patterns in the northern and southern Levant in order to discern additional cultural markers.
- To analyse house sizes to reveal the social hierarchy and to project scaled baulk diagrams of already existing studies in order to show differences or similarities of the towns.
- To explain the phenomenon of the rapid growth of the town of Avaris/Tell el-Dab‘a, whether political, economic or both, from 50 to a size of 250 ha to one of the biggest settlements of its time in the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Master in Egyptology or a closely related field.
- Interest in space analysis and settlement geography.
- Solid background knowledge of the archaeology of Egypt and the Levant.
Closing date for applications
Contact Person and Grant Holder
Prof. Dr. Manfred Bietak, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org & CC: email@example.com
Submission Papers should include:
up to date documents including a detailed CV, a publication list, a brief statement of past achievements and research interests as well as 2 letters of reference.
You must include “0117RT4-THE1608” in the reference/subject line.